Whether you’re a part-time HTML tinkerer or a full-time developer, Google Tag Manager lets you more easily measure how users interact with your site. In the past 6 months, Google Tag Manager has seen a complete overhaul: a new UI, updated terminology, and easier ways to configure the measurement you need.
This workshop will walk through these new features and show you how to use them. By the end of the session, you will be setting up custom measurement on your own site and will be ready to start building out all the analytics you wish you always had.
Note: To get the most out of this workshop, before you attend please create a Google Tag Manager account. Then, add the code to your site by visiting Admin > Install Google Tag Manager and following the simple instructions.
What You'll Learn:
- The difference between tags, triggers, and variables
- How to set your Google Analytics web property ID as a User-Defined Variable Constant (and learn what that means!)
- To track links based on their destination URL
- To track elements based on their classes and ids, using your website’s top navigation as an example
- How to distinguish whether you are using Classic or Universal Analytics, and send the Tag Manager data to Google Analytics using the appropriate method